Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Electrifying Outlets


Now, some people might look at this picture and wonder what kind of significance it could possibly have. Others…..well they recall fond memories of pointy metal objects and fireworks. I regret to state that I am one of those.

Apparently almost everything has a fascination with something. Moths have this thing for lights, bulls seem to get a kick out of red blankets, and little kids, well they seem to like power outlets. I do remember that my own personal story involved severe boredom, remembering I was told not to do it, but wondering why not, and a butter knife. I never tried it again after that one flirt with a life of burnt hair and pretty butterflies.

But why do kids always want to try it? I mean, come one, that little box on the side of the wall really doesn’t look that interesting. And yet, they all seem to gravitate towards it. I suppose it’s honestly just that fascination with the unknown. Everyone knows that if you’re told not to do something as a kid, you just HAVE to do it. It’s just that insatiable curiosity that “trust me, you don’t want to try it,” never appeases.

For example, I never believed that vanilla could possibly taste bad by itself, even though I was told a hundred times, until I tried it myself. Now I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my mother knew what she was talking about. And honestly, I suppose there is no better way to convince yourself of something than to experience it yourself. Mind you, there are many eyebrowless people in the world that follow that principle, I’m sure.

And imagine how dull our lives would likely be if we never did anything that we were warned not to do. I can’t be sure, but I’m almost sure that life wouldn’t be quite as exciting (or painful). Here’s my guess: if you want to try it, you will anyway, no matter whether or not you know there would be consequences.

In short: sticking your finger in a power outlet is not a good idea. Trust me. But you really don’t have to trust me. Try it yourself, then you’ll know for sure, and you can tell someone else the same thing. Then they’ll probably try it too, and then.. yeah you get the picture.

Moths will continue to get singed, and bulls aren’t likely to get over their red blanket fetishes anytime soon, so why should we change?

No comments:

Post a Comment